Wooden Dollhouse

A friend of mine was in the Used bookstore and reading a little book on walls she found interesting. As she leafed the page back to the beginning of the book, there it was:

Wooden dollhouse

A dollhouse reminded me of my mother’s childhood inERSON. We lived in a beautiful old farm home that was built in the 1800s and we had a playhouse that stood for more than 65 years. The woodworking plans contained everything the craftsman needed from wood to paint.

Of course we all know that the dollhouse was made of wood. But what else do we need to be aware of? All of that little interesting stuff about the dollhouse was confirmed by the story and so I considered this to be one of the most fun woodworking projects I’ve seldom gotten to.

Because,” Let me tell you, that was really fun!” When I finish this project I’m eternally grateful.

I decided to build up of wooden skids that had been left all in thecupboard. They were baking in the heat and were like fresh sausages.

I measured them, ordered them and when it came in I put two of them together, constructed a sturdy frame out of them. Then I measured another one and threw them together and built the rest of the frame in to it.

I then measured the doors and cut the middle out of one of the skids. That was the top of the front door built into the front of the frame. Then I made a frame made with skids at the top and bottom of the doors. A l crunchy wooden floor was installed over top of that.

On the walls, I built horizontal shelves using horizontal and vertical side supports. The same methods were used on the vertical and horizontal back supports and other horizontal elements that make up staircases and functional areas. Then I made cupboard spaces of equal height where they were supposed to be and added display shelves full of collectibles and collectible items to make the home more welcoming.

I then measured all my shelves and constructed a desk area with a green papier-mach airborne glued to the back. That floor took years to fade. But that was enough to get me started on the project. I then let the next piece dry so that I would have something solid to start with.

After building the underside, I measured all the sides using an architectural mark tool and penciled the pieces out. After that was complete, I applied 3 coats of Minwax swimming pool deck and marine aggravating semi transparent clear finish to the wood.

I sanded with 180 gritber across a span of 2 inches to smooth out the finish and Generation XVI Oil Stripper to remove mildew and mixed all of the parts with a light mineral oil to a uniform color.

The assembly was then sealed with a full layer of Minwax Polycrylic clear finish. The coating does not dry very fast so in the first panel I applied a lot of paint thinner to the paint. Then I replaced another piece of the same design on top in order to keep the entire design from being wasted.

When that was finished, I used the same methods on all of the next panels. I finished each piece of this welded-together combination by flattening out the paint underneath using a cork sanding block.

The last panels now look fairly new and I was proud of them.